How time flies. I can't believe that it's been over two weeks since my last weaving post. I try to divide my time so that I get at least a little of several things done each day: weaving, knitting, computer, and spinning, (though I haven't been spinning lately). Now dyeing. I find this gives me a break from one activity to the next, but keeps me busy at the same time.
I have been slowly working away at my expanded multiple tabby weave experiments, and now have something on the loom to show.
The threading draft I'm using is found on page 48 of Dr. Bateman's Multiple Tabby Weave.
These are interesting, not only because the treadling is different from the samples I've done previously, but also because they use overshot wefting.
This one uses only one shuttle, the pattern and tabby wefts being the same yarn. I'm using 16/3 unmercerized cotton for the warp, and a navy blue 5/2 cotton for the weft. The treadling is block C as drawn in, with the A block used for the tabby shots.
The yellow and red thrums on the right mark the end of each treadling sequence. The sequence is 56 picks, so if I lose my place, these show me where the sequence began. Then if I need to, I can count the weft shots to figure out where I am and what's next.
The white twill tape is for measuring. I draw my own measurement marks on it and find it's the best way for me to get each piece the same length! Details on that here.
Here's a close-up....
This second one is a two shuttle weave. The pattern weft is the same navy blue, and the tabby weft is the same as the warp.
The overall pattern is vaguely visible, so I am very curious as to how this will look after wet finishing.
The biggest challenge for these so far has been keeping track of where I am in the treadling sequence. This is how I'm doing it at present:
I and II alternate. I just have to move the paper clip after I complete each section in the sequence. This hasn't been too bad really. I could have made it easier if I'd re-tyed the treadles. As it is, the tabbies for part I are treadles 3 and 4. It would have been much easier if they were 5 and 6. However, treadle tie-up on a countermarche loom is a bit of challenge and I prefer to avoid it if at all possible! Hence the fancy footwork.
What I really want to try to keep track of the treadling sequence is a treadling abacus. Photo and brief explanation from Yorksett Arts & Crafts here (at the bottom of the post). When I can find some cube shaped number beads I'll go for it. Until then, I'll just treadle along as I am. :)
Multiple Tabby Weaves
Expanding Multiple Tabby Weave Blocks
Expanded Multiple Tabby Weave Samples - how these turned out
A Means to Measure - Using twill tape to track length