Thursday, July 30, 2026

Summer TV Knitting: Mitered Squares

Earlier this summer I was digging through my filing cabinet and found a pattern for this vest. 

Amanda's Building Blocks
I purchased in mail order and still had the receipt attached - dated 2008! I paid $5.95 for it with $1 for shipping and handling. A quick search and I found it for sale on Etsy. It's now a PDF download priced at $7.50. I say that's fantastic resistance to rising price madness - way to go Amanda!

It was the squares that caught my eye, knitted individually in color changes as desired. With my Penguono Sweater being too hot and heavy to knit on, might this vest not be a good project for summer? Or at least playing around with the squares?

The pattern is based on domino theory knitting. It's knitted in garter stitch so it's quick to knit. The pattern is teaching me how to join on new squares to create larger projects. Even so, I have not found the pattern directions to be precisely clear and I've had several re-starts as I try to figure it out and make adjustments to make it come out correctly. Here's my awkward start on a learning sampler.


I think it would be much more interesting with a variegated yarn, but I'm using what I've got until I feel more confident with it.

It's a nice after-dinner project, while we watch a library video on TV.

No comments: