Monday, April 10, 2023

Stretchy Knit Market Bag

This was another project idea I got from Permies' SKIP program. The requirement was to crochet or knit a bag with straps, measuring at least 12-inches by 12-inches. I looked around for ideas and found a pattern for a knitted market bag from Sheep & Stitch.

For my yarn, I chose Yarn Bee's Sugarwheel cotton knitting yarn.


The pattern required two types of needles, straights for the body of the bag...


and circs for knitting the bag edging plus handles.

There's also a video that goes with this pattern, which was really helpful because I confess the pattern was a little puzzling at times. The instructions called for straight needles but the pictures only showed knitting on circular needles. I verified with the pattern maker in the video comments, that straight needles were indeed fine.


The other problem was that no knitting gauge was given. My tension must have been different because when it came to picking up for the sides of the bag, I ran out of rows before the pattern did. So I had to adapt (rather than frog it and re-do). 


Even so, I think it turned out well. It became a birthday gift for my stepmother, and she really liked it. 

Will I make it again? Uncertain. I find lace type knitting a bit fussy and I don't enjoy fussy. Still, it was good for a one time project and made a great gift. 

© 2023 Leigh's Fiber Journal

No comments: