Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Sad State of Affairs

I've taken my fiber journal temporarily offline. It seems that a weaving teacher helped herself to some of my images without asking and has been using them in her workshops. But the internet makes for a small world, doesn't it?

I've always been more than willing to share with anyone who has the courtesy to ask, but taking without asking is not just discourteous, it's disrespectful. I know it may be a surprise to many folks, but just because something is on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. It has copyright protection.  Unless it is specifically stated to be public domain or has been granted a Creative Commons Copyright licenseeverything on the internet belongs to somebody. That means that without the explicit permission of the copyright holder, the use thereof is legally considered theft.

I'm not that hard to get ahold of. "View my complete profile" is easily visible on my right sidebar. My email address is on my profile page and I'm contacted that way regularly. It is current and still in use. Failing that, a comment on the blog seeking to ask a question could be a last measure. Just because a blog hasn't been updated in awhile doesn't mean the blog owner doesn't still get notifications and comments.

As it stands now, this teacher was given an alternate way to contact me. I'm going to wait and see if she has the integrity to do so. 

2 comments:

Cockeyed Jo said...

So true

Leigh said...

Jo, between that and Google's new blogger interface, I find that my enthusiasm for blogging is greatly diminished. It's not as much fun as it used to be.