I've been a little slow with my Online Guild workshop project, but I do have some progress to report.
The top is my black and white ikat warp, and the next three are the my painted warps. Actually, the 3rd and 4th ones are the same warp. The 4th sample shows how the colors ran together too much. On the bottom is a blue one that I dyed in a dyebath. For this project I'm going to use all the but red one.
The first step was to put them on the lease sticks and get them to the loom. However, since I had dyed these three yard warps unchained, I decided it would be better to chain the bouts, lest I end up with a tangled mess.
However, moving yarn on the floor never fails to attract attention at my house:
Rascal wasted no time in volunteering to "help." Any yarn movement was quickly pounced upon!
Figuring that he would get bored with this pretty quickly, I went off to do something else. When I came back....
.... he had patiently parked himself right on top of the unchained bouts.
By the way, the dowel rod running through the top of the warp chains is how I keep the bouts from unchaining themselves when I carry them to the loom. That part I do without "help." :)
Posted 23 Nov. 2008 at http://leighsfiberjournal.blogspot.com
Experiments in Warp Painting
Learning Ikat Technique
Ikat/Painted Warp Bookmarks Done