I started these experiments with a theory, that I could use computer hexidecimal codes as a basis for a dye recipe. My first experiment led me on quite an unexpected journey (that series of posts starts here). After some trial and error, I got close enough results to want to try a second experiment.
The second color I chose, was also from my original Cedar Waxwing photo palette ....
... gold. The hex code for this color is #EE9628. From the online Color Converter, I learned that the CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, key black) breakdown for this code is:
magenta - 0.37
yellow - 0.83
black - 0.07
I learned a lot from the first experiment, but even so, I decided to follow the same procedure, to see if there is a pattern to the results.
I based my dye recipe on totaling the above and calculating the relative percentages from that total.
0.37 + 0.83 + 0.07 = 1.27
o.37 is 29% of 1.27
0.83 is 65% of 1.27
0.07 is 6% of 1.27
These percentages gave me the starting point for my recipe, substituting fuchsia for magenta, and turquoise for cyan.
From the first experiment I had learned that fuchsia is very strong in it's dyeing power compared to the other colors. I found that to get the yarn color to match the computer color, I had to adjust the percentage of fuchsia (see this post for details on that). Since I wasn't ready to draw a conclusive ratio based on that one experiment, I started with this second recipe "as is," and adjusted the fuchsia for subsequent samples.
I used those percentages to calculate milliliter measurements of individual dye stocks, based on the weight of the yarn I was dyeing for my samples.
The top sample used the percentages as is. In the next sample, I cut the amount of fuchsia by one half, in the bottom sample, by one quarter. Although the last sample is closest to
the target color on the left, in actuality, I think it could use just a touch more fuchsia, perhaps up the percentage to 10%(?)
My conclusions? Well, based on only two experiments (which is not a very scientific statistic), I think that hex codes can be used as a basis for developing recipes, though not as recipes. The first step is to adjust any magenta (fuchsia) in the recipe, and that a decrease to 25% of the percentage in the computer hex code is a good starting point for approximate results. There may be other factors involved, but I would need to experiment more to determine that.
I'm not sure yet if I'm going to try any further adjustments on this particular color, or if I'm going to move on to another experiment. Summer seems a good time to dye, and since I have quite a bit of it left, I plan to make good use of it.
Dye Recipes From Computer Color Codes: A Theory
1st Computer Hex Code Dyeing Experiments, series starts here