Wednesday, September 10, 2008

How to Make a Blog Index (Introduction)

By Leigh

Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback about how my blog header appears in their web browsers. I am relieved that it basically looks the way I had hoped, even though there is apparently some variation with that.

Several people have asked me how I made the index on the sidebar of my blog. If you all will indulge me, I'm going to publish a series of posts on how to do that. Some of you may be satisfied with Blogger's labels, but for the public side of my blog, I really prefer the index. Why? Because if you click on a label, it brings up one page with all the posts under that label. That could be dozens and dozens of posts under a particular label, and I'm just too impatient to have to scroll through them all to find what I want. With an index, I can access a list of all posts under that label, and choose what I want from the list.

There are probably other ways to do this, but here are the steps I took:
  1. Create a Delicious.com account
  2. Tag all blog posts
  3. Create an index in the sidebar
To organize this information, and so that you can just choose the information you want, I've made a post for each step. You can select one of the above, or click here for the next step.

Posted 10 Sept. 2008 at http://leighsfiberjournal.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. Leigh, thank you-------I think.......(sob!). Now I have no excuses (more sobbing)........ You went to a tremendous amount of work and I am most grateful.....I think..... Now I can no longer plead ignorance as an excuse. Sighing and much lamenting........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Leigh! I need to find some time to wade through this, but I've been dying to get my posts better organized... Hugely helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saved the instructions you sent me, intending to do this one day but I got bogged down in the tagging of my posts. Over a years worth are untagged as of yet and it is a huge time eater to do them, so onward I slog. I wish I would have known the importance of tags when I began. One day~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Leigh, this information is very helpful...and your blog is a wealth of information on so many subjects!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!