Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Modular Knitting

On the knitting front, I am still diligently working on my Rare Breed Sweater. I am about 2/3 along with the second sleeve. However, since it (hopefully) won't look any different than the first sleeve, there isn't much to show for it.

In random bits of time, I am still slowly working through Iris Schreier's Modular Knits, which I started working on back here. I decided to work through all the exercises in the book along with a few projects, my ultimate goal being the Diamond Panel Vest on page 109.

My first project has been the Patchwork Eyeglass Case on page 22. I was a bit puzzled and stumped at first, until it occurred to me to check for errata for this book. I found a very handy list of corrections at Artyarns.

In experimenting, it seems to me that this technique is a perfect use of space dyed yarns. So I'm thinking about handpainted yarns for that vest.

My first patchwork square of variegated yarn:

Leigh's 1st modular knitted square.
And a completed eyeglass case:

Patchwork eyeglass case of modular knitted squares.
Not quite as elegant as the one in the book, but then I didn't knit mine out of silk. I used Bernat acrylic and polyester yarns. I wasn't too sure about the crochet edge of eyelash yarn, but was pleased that it hid any irregularities of my knitted edges.

Next up, knitting triangles.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Funny - I got our library copy and in fact, just returned it today. When I saw your glass case, I was thinking how much more I liked your's than the one in the book. I think we tend to be too critical of our own work.

Jackie said...

Very cool! I've always wanted to try modular knitting. Along with 175 other things!

Sharon said...

Your comment option didn't show up after your last post. I am stunned at how you toss stuff on your loom. I need to you live right next door!!!